Digital footprint is the data that we leave behind on the internet when we use it. When I think of this I think of the papers and blog posts I have put online during my graduate school program and then the things I have posted on social media such as Facebook and Instagram. I think this apples to most people as schools are integrating technology more and more. This requires students to put more of their work online and most people use some sort of social media. I personal don't like being required to post things online for school. This is because when employers go to hire people they look them up online. This means that they could be looking at something from my first year of college and be judging me on something they maybe i don't even agree with anymore. They also may judge me based on my writing in that paper which has improved so much since i was a freshman in college. It also bothers me the sites like Facebook will sell your profile because my private life is none of my employers business, but by signing up I know I am agreeing to that.
Digital citizenship is teaching others how to appropriately use technology and the internet. I believe that whoever is giving the child the access to this is responsible for showing them the correct way to use it. This means that if parents are giving their child a laptop or phone with internet access then they should be talking to them about how their using it and if they use it inappropriately then it will be taken away. Unfortunately many parents do not do this. Most schools do a much better job of this though. Many elementary and middle schools have a technology teacher the teaches the students how to use computer and they are responsible for teaching them digital citizenship. If they do not, then their classroom teachers are responsible for this. In my experience schools have done a good job of talking to students about the consequences of social media as well. High school students are even starting to see the consequences of posting mean thing on social media due to things like the Dignity for all students act(DASA). This requires schools to address bullying in all cases regardless of when or where they happen which includes online. Hopefully if we teach digital citizenship before students are given the access to the technology then students will make better choices when using it.
No comments:
Post a Comment